Sunday 20 December 2009

Weekly Bible quote 86

A friend loveth at all times - (Prov 17:17)
Help me to be a true friend, Father

What a wonderful thing it is to have a true friend before whom, as Emerson says, we 'may think aloud'. He says: "Almost every man we meet requires some civility, requires to be humoured; he has some fame, some talent, some whim of religion or philanthropy in his head that is not to be questioned, and so spoils all conversation with him. But a friend is a sane man who exercises not my ingenuity, but me. My friend gives me entertainment without requiring me to stoop, or to lisp, or to mask myself."
Think of your own circle of acquaintances in order to prove how right the essayist is. To how many of them can you say exactly what you think? Is he not right when he says that most people have to be humoured? With one, you may not be able to discuss your religion because the form you follow differs from his. Another, perhaps, is extremely sensitive and you have to be on the alert not to give offense.

Appreciate your friends and give them of your best.

The Path of Truth Vol. 57, No. 4 page 233.

No comments: